Female Solo Travelling in Albay Bicol Philippines

Should you go alone? Why not? Is it safe? Yes.

It's not my first time travelling alone, so it isn't really a big deal for me anymore. I am not posting this to share with you how liberating it felt or how I found my soul. Sharing this for travellers out there that needs information. So without further adieu..


Mayon Volcano View from Legazpi Airport


I arrived in Legazpi around 5PM so there was not much I could do but go food tripping. I stayed in Mayon Backpackers Hostel which cost me 400 a night in a shared aircon room and free breakfast.

You can ride a tricycle from the airport to the hostel for 50 pesos. You will have to walk a bit since the tricycle wont stop in front of the hostel. I recommend preparing your Google Maps, its very helpful.

After checking in, I went around and look for food. I went to the First Colonial grill, which is one 8 pesos jeepney ride from the hostel (any jeepney going in that direction, please refer to google map)

Ate the famous Bicol Express and Volcano level Sili Ice Cream.

1st Colonial Grill Sili Ice Cream - 70php

I was alone so I didn't get the usual 3 scooped ones. Was it spicy? Yes it was but manageable for someone who enjoys spicy food. It's like eating the famous korean spicy noodles except its also sweet and cold. Small Talk cafe (in the opposite direction, near the Liberty Bell) also offers really good food, give them a visit.

The following day I went on a whole day Mayon tour - commuted all the way. First I went to Lingnon Hill - a very steep climb for a lazy hiker. Ride a jeepney with Loop 1 written on their dashboards worth 10 pesos and inform the driver you are heading for Lingnon Hill. Most people enjoy their morning jog there - I did not hahaha.

I went to Daraga Church and Cagasawa Ruins - just ask the locals commute directions and keep your google map open so you know when to go down.

The other locations required me to rent a motorbike since commuting there is hard, but I recommend you go to Juvellar Falls, also known as the Quitinday Falls and Underground River. I went there instead of doing the ATV since I was alone and ridding bikes alone can bore you lol..

When I got there, I saw a group of young men jumping a very high man made cliff to the base of the waterfalls, probably 30-40 feet high. I think that's a more of an adventure than ridding ATVs on dusted lava trails.

Cliff Jumping in Quitinday Falls and Underground River

I asked the motorbike driver to bring me to some good places to eat authentic food - I advice you should too, because they know better :)

TLDR? If you just want quick facts, here it is
- its best to see Mayon Volcano early in the morning when its clear
- most bicol express are better in local restaurants since its freshly cooked rather than those frozen ones on fancy restaurants
- its easy to commute around when you have google map open for destination points. 8-15php is the usual fare
- A LOT of hiking up involve if you plan to visit most of the places - so and advice for those who hate hiking, just visit Cagsawa Ruins (early to avoid too many people) and Quitinday Hills for a very nice view of the Mayon.
- No I didn't do the ATV tour - but you can avail them almost anywhere especially in Cagsawa
- Sili Ice Cream is also available in some local shops (in Cagsawa) not just in Colonial Grill
- Honey Coated Pili Nuts are my favorite so far :P
- The motorbike trip cost me 700 to visit almost every site in one day.

Word of advice, again.
Google Map is your friend :)

That's all, thank you

Comments

  1. Perfect Travel Guide to those who wants to go and experience the beauty albay!Sakit.info

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts